Sunday, November 27, 2011

Looking Back to Move Forward

This week I have been reading and studying about real life examples of action research. Taking the time to analyze other's experiences with action research has really helped me formulate "the big picture" in my head.  By engaging in action research, I have a whole tool box of ideas and solutions available to me. If I take the time to implement action research into my own schedule and campus, my school will not feel isolated and alone. I do not have to feel stressed and pressured to come up with results because I can research and learn from others. I can use the experience of other educators and administrators to see what has worked and has not worked. Then, I can use the data from my school to help take what others have done and tweak it, so that if fits the unique needs of my own campus.

The examples that I studied this week were focused into the following nine passions:  staff development, curriculum development, individual teacher(s),individual student(s), school  culture/community, leadership,  management, school performance, and social justice or equity issues. Looking at the importance of the nine passions helped me compartmentalizemy priorities. I thought about how each passion connects to the other and how it is important to dedicate time to each area in order to ensure success for a campus.

Finally this week, I thought about some inquiries that I would like to engage in and came up with these ideas:
1st Area- Coping with Students on Behavior Intervention Plans
  • Do teachers understand how to use the different interventions and modifications correctly?
  • Is there another strategy being used that other schools have found successful?
  • Can we use these strategies with all of our students?
  • How can parents be involved in order to help ensure the success of their child?
2nd Area- The Change from TAKS to STARRs
  • How can we make teachers and students feel less anxious about the changes?
  • What can we do to better prepare teachers and students for the STARR test?
3rd Area- Reading
  • What actions can faculty take to inspire more reading out of the classroom?
I have not been able to determine exactly which project I will be doing.
At this time, I have not secured a school site supervisor. I am currently unemployed, and when I did have a job, it was at a district that is located about fifteen miles from where I live. I want to use this opportunity to work in the district where I live. In order to become an intern with this district, there are several things that have to be in place, such as a letter from the university, a TB test, and background check. I am currently working to have all the necessary paperwork in place. I did inquire around the community about who are the best principals. I have scheduled meetings with two different principals this week. Hopefully, one of them will agree to let me intern, and at that time, I intend on sharing my ideas for my action research project. I am excited to meet with the principals this week and see where the next leg of this journey takes me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment